Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot add allowed vlan's to 4esw switch port in 2811 router

keithsauer507
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'm having a heck of a time adding 4 vlans to a trunk port on Fa0/0/1 which is a port on a 4ESW hwic card in a Cisco 2811 router.

The command I am adding is

switchport trunk allowed vlan 296,297,299,300 

I get this back from the console:

Command rejected: Bad VLAN allowed list. You have to include all default vlans, e.g. 1-2,1002-1005.

I've already added those vlans in vlan database.  Here is a cut and paste of them:

VLAN ISL Id: 296
    Name: VLAN0296
    Media Type: Ethernet
    VLAN 802.10 Id: 100296
    State: Operational
    MTU: 1500

VLAN ISL Id: 297
    Name: VLAN0297
    VLAN 802.10 Id: 100297

VLAN ISL Id: 299
    Name: VLAN0299
    VLAN 802.10 Id: 100299

VLAN ISL Id: 300
    Name: VLAN0300
    VLAN 802.10 Id: 100300

So what am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So your suggesting move that Fe0/1 (LAN) to the 4esw card and then I can use Fe0/1 with sub interfaces like I currently do today with Fe0/0 for the other ISP?

In general, that should work. It's not that uncommon to have the WANs on the router-ports and the LANs on the switch-module.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Kelvin Willacey
Level 4
Level 4

I have never researched why it has this behavior but it is just saying that you need to also include the default VLANs, once you do that it will accept the command.

Well, the error message states which vlans are missing. The switch-modules always behave a little bit different to a regular switch.

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,296,297,299,300,1002-1005

I don't want vlan 1, 1002-1005 on that link.  It goes through an ISP hand off and I can't control what they have on their side.  For all I know those vlans could be other customers and I can't allow those vlans access for security.

I'm not aware of a way to tweak the module to operate the way you want.

A possible Workaround: Place the ISP on one of the build-in router-ports. There you can configure sub-interfaces for your four VLANs. The HWIC could then be used for your internal connection.

Both Fe's are used.  1 for one ISP and 1 for lan.

So your suggesting move that Fe0/1 (LAN) to the 4esw card and then I can use Fe0/1 with sub interfaces like I currently do today with Fe0/0 for the other ISP?

This is because we have branch offices in different territories that have different LEC's.

In general, that should work. It's not that uncommon to have the WANs on the router-ports and the LANs on the switch-module.

Just curious if this is a function of the IOS version running.  Currently running c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-25g because it does everything I need and lower memory requirements of the 15.1 train.  If I upgrade to c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M7, do you think it would allow me to prune vlan 1 (and the others) off a Fa interface on a 4ESW hwic card?

Or do you think this limitation is from the traces burned into the ASIC's on the ESW card itself, in which no software could overcome?

As far as I know it's a limitation of the hardware (or the software-implementation for this hardware). I know the same behavior from 15.1 and 15.2 on ISR G2 releases.

Ok, I will mark your suggestion as the correct answer to use the built in Fa0/0 and Fa0/1 for my WAN links and use the 4ESW card for the LAN links.

Fa0/0 - Windstream VPL - 2 offices in Windstream territory (existing) (Requires 802.1q vlans as specified from us to service provider)

Fa0/1 - Verizon EVPL - 2 offices in Verizon territory (adding) (Requires 802.1q vlans as specified from service provider)

Fa0/0/0 - vlan 200 - to 4G LTE backup  for all offices (existing tunnels built)

Fa0/0/1 - Will become the new LAN (adding)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card