cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot boot C4507R-E to IOS

loudguitars
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new Cisco C4507R-E and am running two WS-X4515 Supervisor IV cards. when I connect to the console and boot, I receive the error "Unsupported Chassis Type 65535, system can not boot." I believe it is IOS version 12.2(22). I then entered ROMMON mode and set up a TFTP server on my PC. I set up to boot from TFTP to IOS version 12.2(37)SG1, which came on CD with the rest of the equipment. The OS loads from TFTP but gives me a similar error "Unsupported Chassis Type 5...." I've tried booting connected to both Supervisor cards and I also tried removing one of the cards to avoid potential conflicts. I don't really know where to go from here.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

j.beckner
Level 1
Level 1

I had the exact same problem recently. The Sup IV was shipped brand new along with a 4506-E chassis from the distributor with an older version of IOS that did not recognize the new chassis. I, nor my customer, were real happy about this situation. I had to open a Cisco TAC case. They had me load a new IOS. The TAC engineer had me follow this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml#image

It had to be version 12.2(44)SG or newer.

Good luck! Or, since this is uncharted territory maybe I should say:

May the force be you.

Joe

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I have run into the same exact thing. What I had to do was delete the old IOS version. Boot into ROMMON and configure the FA1 port with an IP, Mask and give my laptop an IP in that range, set a tftp server to my laptops IP address and boot tftp://myipaddress/filename

after it boots then copy the iso image to the switch. That should work.

Mike

Thank you for the reply. I'll give it a try. How did you delete the old IOS image without being able to boot? Booting into ROMMON I looked at the help and can't find a way to delete the file from there.

Thanks again,

Dan

I am sorry, you have to boot using the tftp connected to the 10/100 management port that you confiured in rommon mode.

1. boot into rommon mode while consoled in

2. configure the FA1 port

3. give your laptop an ip address and connect it to the 10/100 managment port

4. start your tftp on your laptop

5. boot tftp://youripaddress/filename

now it should boot to a prompt and then delete the old IOS and copy the new one to its place.

I think that was the steps...I will check my notes.

Mike

That's the strange thing. I can get the switch to pull the image from my laptop using the boot tftp://... command. It still gives me the Unsupported Chassis error.

are you connected to the FA1 port?

j.beckner
Level 1
Level 1

I had the exact same problem recently. The Sup IV was shipped brand new along with a 4506-E chassis from the distributor with an older version of IOS that did not recognize the new chassis. I, nor my customer, were real happy about this situation. I had to open a Cisco TAC case. They had me load a new IOS. The TAC engineer had me follow this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml#image

It had to be version 12.2(44)SG or newer.

Good luck! Or, since this is uncharted territory maybe I should say:

May the force be you.

Joe

The version was the issue. I downloaded 12.2(46) and was able to boot via tftp, copy the new image, etc.

Thanks to all who replied!

Dan

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Daniel,

You should be using the 12.2(40)SG IOS. The release notes specify that the 4500-E chassis minimum version be 12.2(40)SG. Which explains your unsupported chassis error.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_5184.html#wp1207861

Mark

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card