cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Browse A Subnet

dariankincy
Level 1
Level 1

It may be a very easy fix for this but I've recently installed a Cisco 4507 Switch at one of my locations and it's working great expect when I try to browse that subnet from my data center on a seperate subnet I cannot browse computers in that location. Is there something that I missed on the config? It's a very simple config nothing special. Any help will work

Thanks

7 Replies 7

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

Do you have a layer 3 device configured between the 2 nets? If so do you have a route to and from that net? Are there any ACL's that would restirct the traffic?

Really need more info.

Thanks,

Chad

Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for your entry. Yes I do a layer 3 device between both locations. One thing that gets me is that this new Cisco 4507R switch is replacing a stack of 3550XL switches that were already residing at the location. Now ever since I've connected the 4507R I can no longer browse. Let me explain what I mean about browse my network if I use a UNC connection to look at a server at the 4507R site I can access it with no problem but when my helpdesk department using tools such as Dameware or even Microsoft Networking they cannot see the subnet. I must also mention that both subnet have 4507R Switches and maybe that's the problem.

Are you sure there is a master browser PC/server on that subnet? Every subnet needs a master browser, and this would explain your symptoms.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/117633

There's for sure a master browser located in that subnet

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

Are you able to ping between the subnets i.e routing is there or not ?

Please let us know the connectivity between these two subnets. Which device is doing the routing for these subnets, if its 4507 only then you have to create Vlan SVI's for both the subnets on the switch for inter-vlan routing. If its some other device like router which is connecting the 2 subnets, make sure that both the routers have routes to both the subnets.

Let us know the config for the device which is doing the routing and we will check it for you.

HTH,

-amit singh

Sorry for the delay. Yes I can ping devices between the two subnets I have a router in place for routing both subnet. Amit here's a response I had for someone else that his helping me out I help this explaination helps

Yes I do a layer 3 device between both locations. One thing that gets me is that this new Cisco 4507R switch is replacing a stack of 3550XL switches that were already residing at the location. Now ever since I've connected the 4507 I can no longer browse. Let me explain what I mean about browse my network if I use a UNC connection to look at a server at the 4507 site I can access it with no problem but when my helpdesk department using tools such as Dameware or even Microsoft Networking they cannot see the subnet. I must also mention that both subnet have 4507R Switches and maybe that's the problem.

Hi,

Do you have spanning tree portfast enabled on ports connected to hosts/servers. I have seen people report problems after a switch swap and portfast mayn't have been enabled on ports connected to end hosts in the new switch, which could slow down traffic flow and affect application performance.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card