cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot ping remote domain on hosts

ksuchewie
Level 1
Level 1

I have been scratching my head for a few hours so I give up...I need help.

My exchange server is unable to connect to a remote domain to send email to.  I did a telnet test, and it is unable to connect.  I did a ping test, and am unable to ping address.  The domain does however, resolve an address.

I did a ping test from my host and am unable to ping remote domain.  I am able to resolve the IP.

I did another ping test from another host with a different vlan than my exchange server and my host, and it was unable to ping, but it did resolve address.

All 3 machines (exchange server, my host, test host) can successfully ping test to other sites (IE google/msn/etc.)

My firewall and router are able to successfully ping the site that I cannot reach.  On the switched I did a ping test from source vlan (2 different vlans) and it says it works.  However the hosts on those vlans can't.

I am stuck on what else to do.

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have been scratching my head for a few hours so I give up...I need help.

My exchange server is unable to connect to a remote domain to send email to.  I did a telnet test, and it is unable to connect.  I did a ping test, and am unable to ping address.  The domain does however, resolve an address.

I did a ping test from my host and am unable to ping remote domain.  I am able to resolve the IP.

I did another ping test from another host with a different vlan than my exchange server and my host, and it was unable to ping, but it did resolve address.

All 3 machines (exchange server, my host, test host) can successfully ping test to other sites (IE google/msn/etc.)

My firewall and router are able to successfully ping the site that I cannot reach.  On the switched I did a ping test from source vlan (2 different vlans) and it says it works.  However the hosts on those vlans can't.

I am stuck on what else to do

Hi,

If your firewall and router can reach the site, i would suggest you to check the polic in firewall for these vlans host for outside on icmp request and specific telnet port on the domain server which is placed outside the firewall.

Most of the case comes with policy blocked in firewall for specific source and destination on ports and protocol.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card