Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot remote telnet to switch

hokokshun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have set up a newly switch, cisco 3570C. Its in v15 and the only configuration i did is:

-set up interface ip add. 10.132.16.111

-set up telnet

I am able to telnet within LAN environment. I cant ping or telnet the switch in a WAN enviornment. Is there any setting i should confgure on the switch?

Thanks,

ks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi KS,

Ok. So you need to configure a default route(command "ip default-gateway 10.132.16.1") on the switch pointing towards the router as next hop which is connecting to the new switch).

I assumed ip 10.132.16.1 is configured on the router interface which is connected to the new switch.

You will then be able to ping and telnet too...

Regards,
Manjunath

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Ton V Engelen
Level 3
Level 3

I assume here the wan uses public ip adresses and your ip address is in a private subnet.

To have connectivity from public to private (and v.v.) you ll need NAT

Hi Ton,

Thank you for the reply. I connect via the remote office via VPN. In the VPN environment, I can ping to servers over there. But the other side cannot ping or telnet to the new switch here. Do i still have to enable NAT in the switch? if yes? How to go about it?

Appreiciate.

Hi

like i said i assume   So there is a VPN which connects the sites over the wan? You probably wont need NAT then.

Can you post a small topo? i m not sure how all is connected and need a better understanding of the network.

And:

Is this a site to site VPN?

Is the network 10.132.16 known at the other site?

Things like this come to mind. Thats why i like a topo, to understand your network better

Hi Ton,

Pls pardon my n/w skills. I am not very well versed and kinda new to n/w. Attached is the simple topo. Hope it helps.

Office 2 tries to connect to the new switch via VPN but is unsuccessful. But when i use a laptop and configure a static IP: 10.132.16.102 in office 1, i can ping and telnet the switch. Whereas, office 2 cant telnet or ping to the new switch.

thanks.

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

Hi KS,

Just to add/ask, do you have proper return route or proper default gateway configured on that switch?

Regards,

Manjunath

Hi Manju,

Nope. the setting are default when i opened up from box. The only things i did is mentioned as above.

Thanks.

Hi

If you have not done so before (not according to top description) then you need to setup a route or routing table for the packets to be able to go to another network.

So if it works on your LAN wich is in the same subnet but not on your WAN wich is in another net, set a route to the router that your WAN resides behind.

Good luck

HTH

Hi hobbe,

You mean a static route?

Regards,

KS

Hi KS,

Ok. So you need to configure a default route(command "ip default-gateway 10.132.16.1") on the switch pointing towards the router as next hop which is connecting to the new switch).

I assumed ip 10.132.16.1 is configured on the router interface which is connected to the new switch.

You will then be able to ping and telnet too...

Regards,
Manjunath

hokokshun wrote:

Hi guys,

I have set up a newly switch, cisco 3570C. Its in v15 and the only configuration i did is:

-set up interface ip add. 10.132.16.111

-set up telnet

I am able to telnet within LAN environment. I cant ping or telnet the switch in a WAN enviornment. Is there any setting i should confgure on the switch?

Thanks,

ks

Since the Ping itself does not work, there is no way that the telnet is going to work.

Check your routing table and ensure that you have routes to reach the New switch both ways.

-Swaminathan.

hokokshun
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Thanks for the help.I managed to get it working!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: