cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot run TDR on 4500 VSS peer

noisey_uk
Level 1
Level 1

Running cable diagnostics tdr on a linecard attached to the active supervisor works fine but when I try on a linecard in the peer chassis I get no output... am I missing something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

noisey_uk
Level 1
Level 1

A workaround inspired by the configuration guide: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html#wp1054558

Basically, find out the VSS virtual slot number of the peer supervisor by issuing the show switch virtual slot-map command, attach to that module using remote login module <number> and issue the usual cable-diagnostics commands from there.

Just sharing in case someone else comes across this problem.

Doesn't work - results aren't consistent with what's attached. Might be TAC time...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the line card.  

From what I was told 46XX line card do not support TDR because it's a bug.  It's a bug because developers "forgot" to enable this feature.  Apparently, this will be fixed in a later date (2015).

Nice job Cisco! Alas they're WS-X4748-RJ45V+E linecards. WS-X45-SUP7-E supervisors.

Sorry, I don't have any 47XX line cards to test but they should be well supported.

What IOS are you running?

3.4.4 SG4 Leo.

noisey_uk
Level 1
Level 1

A workaround inspired by the configuration guide: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html#wp1054558

Basically, find out the VSS virtual slot number of the peer supervisor by issuing the show switch virtual slot-map command, attach to that module using remote login module <number> and issue the usual cable-diagnostics commands from there.

Just sharing in case someone else comes across this problem.

Doesn't work - results aren't consistent with what's attached. Might be TAC time...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card