Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot setup my Cisco Catalyst 2960-s

jonas.anderssen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Since im new into cisco switches i need some assistance hoping that someone may help me finding the right way because i tried to research and see tutorials but this problem may be specific due to the situation im in now.

I have got a  Cisco Catalyst 2960-s switch and want to configure it using as a basic switch.

So what i did is i had to reset it to factory default.

Since that is done i connected a cat5 lan cable from the 1x port to my pc/latptop and it should normally assign me his dhcp (thats how it says when doing the research). I get this IP assigned 

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.152.254
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

When trying to connect to its web based interface its not finding anything....

Is anyone able to guide me and help me finding the right way how to configure it through the web  ?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Have you proceeded with the "press, hold & release" of the "Mode" button as described in the document as per beneath?

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/hardware/quick/guide_stack/All_languages/2960S_gsg_en.pdf

Best regards,

Antonin

@amikat wrote:

Hi,

Have you proceeded with the "press, hold & release" of the "Mode" button as described in the document as per beneath?

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/hardware/quick/guide_stack/All_languages/2960S_gsg_en.pdf

Best regards,

Antonin

YEP already did that.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. If the switch does not enter the Express Setup procedure after resetting, passing the POST and doing the "Mode" exercise, then my approach would be to make connection via the "console" port (ie. serial, not Ethernet) and look what may be wrong or missing.

I understand that your 1x port LED lits green to indicate the good link connection to your PC/laptop.

You may also try to do "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" at your PC/laptop for the case the Express Setup started too late for your PC waiting to get the IP address.

I regret I cannot provide better advice.

Best regards,

Antonin

The discussion in the link provided is an interesting one. But I believe that it does not address the present situation. That link addresses how to enable web management and assumes that you have IP connectivity to the switch. The present issue is that there is not IP connectivity to the switch. It has been a long time since I have done a factory reset of a 2960S but I believe that the factory default is not the same as the initial config that shipped on the switch. It would seem that the factory reset has removed the DHCP config that was part of the initial config (and probably removed the IP that was configured on the interface vlan 1). I agree that the solution here is to access using the console port and to rebuild the config.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

Your solution is here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/using-the-web-console-if-possible-to-manage-a-2960-switch/td-p/1795219

But Keep in mind that default Image (Cisco switch 2960) is loaded ".bin" format, which is not supporting to web-based access. You have to upgrade/replace (Install) the image to ".tar" file (download from Cisco switch). The installation method is also different for ".tar" file. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

@Deepak Kumar wrote:

Hi, 

Your solution is here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/lan-switching-and-routing/using-the-web-console-if-possible-to-manage-a-2960-switch/td-p/1795219

But Keep in mind that default Image (Cisco switch 2960) is loaded ".bin" format, which is not supporting to web-based access. You have to upgrade/replace (Install) the image to ".tar" file (download from Cisco switch). The installation method is also different for ".tar" file. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

So how do i change that please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card