cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cant copy config back into router

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, I have a cisco sb108 dsl router, I copied the config from another router, then I pasted the text file back into the same router, and it will not take the config, It comes up with lots of error detected in ^ markers. Why is this as its the same router and config I jsut copied out ?

please help

7 Replies 7

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

i can understand what exactly the problem is. if you juz paste the config, you will face such erros, reason because there are some commands which will work only within the interfaces & not on the global configuration mode.

eg.

interface fastethernet 0/1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

this ip address command will work only within the interface like mentioned above & not on the global mode. in such case you will not get errors if you do set by step. if your trying to paste the entire config. u will errors. so you have got 2 options, option 1, u can manully enter in the interface & type it step-by-step, option 2, simply copy the config.txt to the flash:

eg.

router(config)#copy tftp:config.text flash:config.text

hope this helps you.

rate this post without fail.

The only thing is I have engineers that just use the console port to configure them, when they are out the box do they give out dhcp addresses so they can tftp the config onto them, or will we have to give it an ip first on the ethernet ?

thanks

what router model is that?

sb108 ??

Hi ,

Not very much convinced with Anand out here. I am not sure about this particular DSL router but in routers like 2500 and all high end routers and also switches if you simplly do "sh run" and copy the sh run and paste on notepad and then again copy from notepad and paste on global config mode it will not give any errors for sure.

When we just copy after issuing "sh run" command it also copy interface and all commands under interface config mode and when we paste it on global config mode interface comes and then it automatically goes into interface config mode and runs the commands under those interface command and thats one of the benefit of IOS base product.

We need to confirm if the DSL router Carl is having works on normal IOS package or not?

Ankur

Sorry, It is the Cisco SB 107 !!

thanks

Hi carl,

are your getting these ^^ errors while copying via console? You could try to reduce your console/serial Port speed - respectively a delay per chararcter and line. Configure a delay of 5 msec per char an 10 ms per line. Popular Terminal programs like TeraTerm or Hyperterm should let you configure this option ..

regards

Robert

Hi all, I seem to have solved the issue by using secure crt, normal hyper term wouldnt let me do it.

thanks

Carl

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card