Views
Helpful
Replies

Capacity of Catalyst 2960 switchs

Malette40
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I am fairly new to the Cisco world and would like your views about capacity planning of our network especially a part that need my attention.

Currently we have a core network with a Catalyst 6509 switch with links to multiple buildings. For each of these buildings, there is a catalyst 2960/2960G which is the head switch for the entire building. This switch is linked to several 2950/2960 Switches for the distribution in the building. For a building there is ~800 administrative workers.

Vlan routing is done at the 6509 level, and we currently do not need multi layer switching at the head of the building, but I would to know if the 2960G is undersized for this type of capacity and for future uses (especially future voip uses). Should we go for catalyst 35xx with a lan base licence for our needs ?

I hope i have given enough informations.

Thanks for your help.

1 Reply 1

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You could use 3750G-12S switch with 12 SFP ports at the head-end (as long as you have only 12 switches to connect). If you are thinking of distributed routing, this would be a better choise as it has better support for routing (with respect to lower end switches).Here is a good document you could use for comparison of features:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/switches/ps5718/ps708/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805f0955.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card