Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cat 3524 switch better at streaming than 4503, why?

Hi all

We have a phone recording equipment with some 20 PC clients streaming conversation recordings to a server. Everything is running TCP/IP and ethernet, nothing special there and I had all clients and the server connected to the same WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V line card in our L2 only 4503 Sup II+TS.

As the number of recordings increased I started to get reports of stuttering and unhearable recordings on the server. What I did was I removed all cabling from the clients and the server and stuck them in a separate 3524 10/100 switch and there has been no problem since.

As far as I remember the 3524 had been on the shelf for about 2 years and has a default setup. I have a rough understanding of the 4503 architecture and the multiplexing but I had no idea there was these sort of limitations. The amount of data sent isn't that large either, roughly 6mbit/sec is flowing into the server at any time.

Anyone has an idea why a €500 switch is better at streaming than a €10.000 switch? I know this is a loose question but I need somewhere to start.

Regards

Fredrik

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Cat 3524 switch better at streaming than 4503, why?

Hey, you are affected by the bug - CSCdz57255

Re: Cat 3524 switch better at streaming than 4503, why?

Interesting, but I run IOS 12.2(31)SG1 and that's not listed as affected by the bug.

/Fredrik

Views
Helpful
Replies