Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 3550 multiple crashes

omar.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I encountered many crashes during only short time period. I'm using Cat 3550 and there was more than 5 crashes during only few weeks.

Do a high CPU load for about 80 percent can be the cause? Loops?

Energy is well managed as the sites are used for mobile phones radio equipments.

Any idea?

Regards,

Omar

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Omar,

Can you post the crashinfo?

I cannot get the crashinfo as I have no access to flash. But here what I get:

Initializing flashfs...

flashfs[1]: 408 files, 8 directories

flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 15998976

flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 8113664

flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 7885312

flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 9 seconds.

flashfs[1]: Initialization complete.

...done Initializing flashfs.

Frame storage failed on queue 0, even-byte frame

SYSTEM INIT: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!

%Software-forced reload

Regards,

Omar

I have the same problem with my Catalyst 3550-12T. The switch was operating properly before suddenly turned to be like that. A crash file was generated. I am trying to upload new IOS for it but I don't think it is going to help. It seems to be the hardware issue.

I got the completely same problem. After desperately trying to upload serveral IOS file for the catalyst 3550-12T which is downloaded from cisco IOS center:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=12.1.19-EA1&mdfid=270568139&sftType=IOS+Software&optPlat=&nodecount=33&edesignator=ED&defInd=Y&modelName=Cisco+Catalyst+3550+12T+Switch&treeMdfId=268438038&modifmdfid=null&imname=&treeNam...

The issues was not fixed.

I decided to boot the switch in rommon mode then:

load_helper
flash_init
delete all the configuration files
format the flash
run the check flash command
load the newest IOS images via xmodem: c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6 (it took me 3 hours to load the image to the switch via xmodem)
then set the default boot image to be c3550-ipbase-mz.122-44.SE6

then reboot the switch using the specified image. and I have no problem at all after that.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UNPLUGGED ALL THE CONNECTIONS FROM THE SWITCH BEFORE YOU RE-LOAD THE IMAGE OTHERWISE YOU WILL RECEIVE THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE WHATEVER IMAGES YOU GOT.

hope this help.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Omar,

Try the command "dir flash:".

I tried it and it show the file 'crashinfo' but I didn't find a way to copy it or to display it.

Hi Omar,

You can copy the file into your PC and post it here.

Hello,

As I said before. I found no way to copy the crashfile! as I can only connect with ROMMON and it's not possible to copy it using xmodem (which I tried by write on xmodem server is not permitted.

Regards,

Omar

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Omar,

Can you post the output of the "dir flash:" command?

more flash:/crashinfo/crashinfofilename or just more crashinfo_, it depends on the version of code you're running. Dir flash: should give you filename to use your more against.

Hello,

Please note the line:

SYSTEM INIT: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY TO BOOT THE IMAGE!

Please make sure your switch memory requirements (Flash and RAM) matches the ones the IOS needs. You may have to choose another IOS version or perform a memory upgrade on the switch.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card