Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 VSS - Line Card replacement

fcoppotelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I've got two cat 6509 in VSS mode and the at the moment the secondary one is shutted down because I'm replacing a line card (WS-X6708-10G-3C) on it.

My question is about the (probable) loss of service that can be caused when I'll power on the second 6509 in VSS with the distribution switch connected to it.

I don't want to generate a loss of service for the users connected to the access switches while the VSS will be formed again between the two 6509.

Anybody knows if is a riskious operation?

Thanks,

Fabio

3 Replies 3

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are all the devices connected to the VSS dual uplinked, i.e one in each 6500?

All the ditribution devices are dual uplinked. But at the moment I've just one 6509 powered on.

Regards,

F.

I belive (and my personal experience suggests that) that

1. if all device are dual uplinked to VSS
  2. if you VSS has configured by adaptive hash distribution algorithm (global or for each MEC)
  3. if you don't configure switch preemption and override the default switch priority (in case if you shutdown the peer with the high switch priority for the replacing module)

you should not experience any problems...

You can make sure that you have configured adaptive hash distribution algorithm by the command:

c6500#sh etherchannel summary | i Hash
Last applied Hash Distribution Algorithm: Adaptive

- is the number of any MEC...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card