Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cat - 6506-E - MSFC

Hi All,

I just tried doing a Write Erase on the MSFC and a reboot. Now the Catalyst is showing me a Router(boot)#. It can boot with the IOS and function but why does the (boot) appear. Any inputs greatly appreciated ?

Thanks in Advance,

Subra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ovt Bronze
Bronze

Re: Cat - 6506-E - MSFC

Ok, for CatOS use "reset 15", then "switch console" to get to the MSFC console.

This is "baby ios" or "boot helper" with restricted functionality. When you did "wr erase" you deleted BOOT variables from the ROM monitor, so the system didn't boot the proper ios image. Now reboot the MSFC, hit Ctrl-Break and use ROM monitor to boot proper ios file (use "dev", "dir <>" and "boot ") commands. Don't forget to configure "boot system flash " when proper ios file boots.

3 REPLIES
Purple

It did not boot all the way up . I have seen this also when doing a wr erase , it wipes out the boot statement I think . From that prompt do a dir bootflash: and see what image is there , then do a boot bootflash: , once booted up add the correct boot statement.

ovt Bronze
Bronze

Ok, for CatOS use "reset 15", then "switch console" to get to the MSFC console.

This is "baby ios" or "boot helper" with restricted functionality. When you did "wr erase" you deleted BOOT variables from the ROM monitor, so the system didn't boot the proper ios image. Now reboot the MSFC, hit Ctrl-Break and use ROM monitor to boot proper ios file (use "dev", "dir <>" and "boot ") commands. Don't forget to configure "boot system flash " when proper ios file boots.

Hi,

THanks a lot for your timely support.

Regards

Subra

Views
Helpful
Replies