cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat Express 500 wrong date time information

habdala01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst Express 500 24TT and when power off the switch and then power on the date displayed by the GUI manager is February 28 of 1993 !!!.

Anybody Knows why this occurs.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hector

Some Cisco equipment (more of the high end equipment) has a clock/calendar chip that maintains time correctly over a reboot. Other equipment (more of the lower end equipment) does not have the clock/calendar chip and when it reboots it has no knowledge of the real time and date so it starts from a default (Feb 28 of 1993). The best way to solve this is to configure your switch to use NTP and to learn time from some other network device.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick

The problem is that the Catalyst 500 switch doesn't support NTP. You can't configure it. It's not an option. In addition to NTP, there are no remote logging/syslogging configuration options, either. I understand this is the low-end switch, but I would have expected Cisco to at least implement NTP as a standard feature in all product lines.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card