Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat3750X-eBGP failover from Master to Member

Hello

I would like to know about the eBGP specification on Cat3750X stackwise+ failover from Master to Member.

[Topology]

3750X-1-StackMaster    - Gi1/0/1 ---- F0/1 - 3560
3750X-2-StackMember  - Gi2/0/1 ---- F0/2 - 

SVI10(10.0.0.1/24) ---- SVI10(10.0.0.2/24)
 BGP AS1 -------- eBGP -------- BGP AS2

*Multi-Chassis EtherChannel - Mode ON (Po1)
*No STP

---

When 3750X-1-StackMaster power down occurs then 3750X-2-StackMember takes over the routing table and also eBGP session right? I mean that it does not occur BGP peer down and up (Flapping) .

I appreciate if you let me know any related information.

Best Regards,

Masanobu Hiyoshi

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES
Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When a 3750 stack's master fails, there can be a brief interruption to L3 services.  To avoid a routing flap, the 3750 supports NSF for some routing protocols (don't recall if this includes BGP).

Also, don't know if it applies to BGP, but for some master switch overs, it helps if you've configured persistent MAC.  [edit - BTW, I believe port-channels are impacted by a change in master MAC.]

Hello JosephThank you very

Hello Joseph

Thank you very much for your info. According to your keyword "NSF"

I have been investigating through Cat3750X, it may be configurable like below.

router bgp 1
 bgp graceful-restart restart-time x
 bgp graceful-restart stalepath-time x
 bgp graceful-restart

However I have to understand the timer value and impact if it modifies.

And another information is that I think BGP NSF also must re-establish the session.

You can see the information on the following URL.

[BGP Nonstop Forwarding (NSF) Awareness ]

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ftbgpnsf.html

*Quote from the URL.

After an RP switchover occurs, the NSF-capable router reestablishes the session with the BGP peer. 
In establishing the new session, it sends a new graceful restart message that identifies the NSF-capable router as having restarted. 

Best Regards,

Masanobu Hiyoshi

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content