cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT4006 error message

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I'm seeing following erorr on my CAT4006, I found the doc where it explains what the error mean but I can't find what does it mean stack type 2 and what type of process not avaialble. I have noticed issues on my blade 2 on the switch where some ports are not allowing DHCP addresses on them but I'm not sure if this erorr is related to that. If someone can point me to the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

%KERNEL-1-CREATEPROCESSFAILED:Error in creating process: Unavailable free stack; stack type: 2; Name: tnetproc

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nawas,

CatOS allows limited number of processes with type 2 stack in the system. The maximum number of processes with type 2 stack is 13. Telnet process is one of the process which require type 2 stack.

The switch will try to create process for new telnet connection if there is any type 2 stack available. When all type 2 stacks were used, any attempt on connecting through telnet results the error message "%KERNEL-1-CREATEPROCESSFAILED...".

We don't allow unlimited number of telnet connection to our device. Since the resource exhausted was stack, all other resources should still be unaffected.This is essentailly an informative message.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nawas,

CatOS allows limited number of processes with type 2 stack in the system. The maximum number of processes with type 2 stack is 13. Telnet process is one of the process which require type 2 stack.

The switch will try to create process for new telnet connection if there is any type 2 stack available. When all type 2 stacks were used, any attempt on connecting through telnet results the error message "%KERNEL-1-CREATEPROCESSFAILED...".

We don't allow unlimited number of telnet connection to our device. Since the resource exhausted was stack, all other resources should still be unaffected.This is essentailly an informative message.

HTH

Ankur

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Nawas ,

%KERNEL-1-CREATEPROCESSFAILED: Error in creating process: [chars]; stack type:

[dec]; Name: [chars]

Explanation: This message indicates that the create process has failed; the system

is out of processes. The Catalyst operating system allows a limited number of processes

based on the number of stacks available. When stacks are unavailable, this message

is generated. The first [chars] is the process ID, the [dec] is the stack type,

and the second [chars] is the process name.

****Recommended Action: Issue the show users command to check how many telnet sessions

have opened for the switch. CatOS switch allows only a limited number of processes

with a type 2 stack (for example, Console, snmpdm, VtpRx, THREAD, telnet145) in

the system. The maximum number of processes with a type 2 stack is 13. To view

the type 2 stack processes issue the show proc command. These processes will

have the value 'xxxx/12288' under the 'Stacks' column. Telnet is one of the processes which require a type 2 stack. When all type 2 stacks are used, any attempt to connect through telnet will result in this error message. Disconnect the telnet sessions

opened by the remote device using the command disconnect {ip_address}. Also investigate

why so many connections are opened for the switch from the remote device.

check the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_system_message_guide_chapter09186a00800e01f6.html#wp1015426

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

satish

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card