cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat4506 Chassis with Cat2955

ROBERT CROOKS
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking some advise on what direction I should persue for an expansion to my network.

Currently I have a Cat4506 chassis with a Sup II+ engine and one WS-X4232-RJ-XX linecard with the WS-U4504-FX-MT daughtercard to provide uplinks to four Cat2955 switches. I chose the Cat2955 because the switches are in an industrial facility and they fit the envrionment very well. Each of them has a multimode fiber uplink.

The issue I have now is that I need to add at least 4 more Cat2955 switches to the topology and find that the x4232 is EOL. I can always find a used one somewhere, but is there another currently shipping linecard that will do the trick? I see there is WS-X4248-FE-SFP with the 100BaseX interfaces, but don't really need 48 ports, just 8.

Is there another linecard that can downswitch a 1000BASE-X port to 100Base-X, or can I use a 100Base-X SPF in a switch like the WS-X4448-GB-SFP?

What are my options, aside from buying another X4232?

Any suggestions would be apprecaited.

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow.  All the things you need are End-of-Sale.

1.  Can you describe where the 2955 are installed?  I want to know what's the environmental factors affecting the decision(s) to use 2955.  I mean, you can't forever choose 2955 if you need more switches in the future.

2.  Whats your budget?

3.  Are you planning to upgrade your chassis and line cards?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card