Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Cat4506 Sup II Plus and EIGRP???

I have a 4506 with a Sup II Plus running IOS "cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-31.SGA.bin".

I configured EIGRP routing on this, hooked it to our network and it accepted the existing EIGRP routing table.

Then I found the document "Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine II-Plus" and in states that this supervisor doesn't do EIGRP.

Here is 'sh ver, and 'sh eigrp route summary':

ROC-SW4506-PBX#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(31)SGA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support:

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 08-Sep-06 10:19 by ccai

Image text-base: 0x10000000, data-base: 0x115C42A4

OC-SW4506-PBX#sh ip route summary

IP routing table name is Default-IP-Routing-Table(0)

IP routing table maximum-paths is 8

Route Source Networks Subnets Overhead Memory (bytes)

connected 0 1 64 152

static 1 0 64 152

eigrp 1 15 703 45952 109136

internal 40 46880

Total 56 704 46080 156320

What gives?? Do I have full EIGRP functionality with this Sup II-Plus and the documentation is incorrect?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Cat4506 Sup II Plus and EIGRP???

I am not familiar with the details of your particular platform, but I have seen similar issues and believe that I have an answer. I suspect that if you read carefully, Cisco does not say that this supervisor doesnt do EIGRP but that they say that EIGRP is not supported on this supervisor. It is a fine point but an important distinction. EIGRP might run and then might develop a problem, or it might run but not deliver full functionality. If it runs and causes some problem, Cisco is under no responsibility to fix it because it is "unsupported" and when customers choose to do something that is unsupported Cisco is clear of any responsibility.

If you want something for a test environment or some other situation where errors or failures do not matter much, then I would go for it. But I would be very ruluctant to put something into a production environment that Cisco classifies as unsupported.

You could, of course, ask a Cisco representative if the documentation is incorrect. But I doubt that it is.

Community Member

Thanks Rick and Glen -

I read further into the 4506 Sup-II Plus document and it states:

Prior Cisco IOS Software images for the Catalyst 4500 Series, formally known as "Basic L3" and "Enhanced L3" images, now map to "IP Base" and "Enterprise Services," respectively. Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is now included in the "Enterprise Services" image. Unless otherwise specified, all currently shipping Catalyst 4500 software features based on Cisco IOS Software are supported in the 12.2(25)SG, IP Base image with a few points to note:

- The IP Base image will not support the following routing related features: BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS, IPX, Apple Talk, Virtual Route Forwarding (VRF)-lite, and Policy-Based Routing (PBR)

- The IP Base image will support EIGRP-Stub for Layer 3 routing on all Catalyst 4500 Series Supervisor Engines. For more information on EIGRP-Stub functionality, go to:

So it seems that EIGRP-Stub is supported and I will call Cisco TAC to insure that it is.

Cisco Employee

Yes,Only EIGRP-STUB is supported on Sup2Plus on Cat4500.

-amit singh

This has been discussed many times here . Yes the IOS will accept the commands and even "appear" to work ok but if you have any kind of problem don't expect support form cisco as it is not supported . It will runn all protocols even bgp because I set it up in the lab and I was able to talk to all the bgp neighbors . You need at least a Sup 3 to be officially supported . I don't know why they don't get rid of them if it isn't supported .

CreatePlease to create content