Views
Helpful
Replies

cat6500 crash?

julxu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have one cat6513, its supervisor engine (720) crashed few times in last 6 years. and few months before it crashed, you can feel network slowness in related network, but, no any eventance related to the box, no error log, no perfermence by show cpu/mem, no packet drop/overload in interface.

at the crashing time, you still have no error messages on box, only crash dumping file, cisco tac checked crash dumping, and most time, the file comments as software caused.

at the crashing time, there is no traffic in/out, perfermence is very low, but, if you run "show tech" it take very long time ( more than 45 minutes), I have no chance to finish the "show tech" before reload.

I have all rest cat6500s with no any problem similar like this one.

We had replaced supervisor modules, but the problem comes back, not frequetely, but, properly a year later.

Is any possible there is not supervisor module has problem, but, the other part? such as chasis?

Is any possible I can monitor this issue than just feel it and guess it may have problem soon?

Any comments will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

julxu

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Julxu,

Usually, the crash dump is the result of software bug(s). And since you have already changed the sup, the next thing you can do is to load a different version of IOS and test it for sometimes.

What is the output of "sh version"?

What model Sup-720 do you have?

HTH

For some reason, I can not copy/paste to this list. can not give you real one.

however, my version is:

cisco IOS software, s72033_rp Software (s720033_rp-IPSERVICEK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXJ5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

cisco WS-C6513 (R7000) processor (revision 1.0) with 458720K/65536K bytes of memory.

SR71000 CPU at 600 Mhz, Implementation 0x504, Rev 1.2, 512KB L2 Cache

module:

Supervisor Engine 720 (active) WS-SUP720-3B (Hw)4.7 (Fw)8.5(3) (Sw)12.2(33)SXJ5 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card