cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6500-E Line Card Memory

mlouis
Level 1
Level 1

I am sure this question has been answered before but for eFSU to work with an SSO enabled supervisor, there is a requirement that the line cards must have 512MB of memory installed to preload the software image via "preloading" during the ISSU process.

Can anyone tell me if the DFC card is the only way to get memory on a card? I can't find any other way.

Thanks

Mike

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, the memory sits on the DFC card. CFC modules do not have a memory slot

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Config_Notes/78_15893.html#wp85495

HTH,

__

Edison.

So in the truest sense, full eFSU support is impossible without DFC enabled cards (at least 512MB) installed in the chassis. Meaning a supervisor32 could not ever support eFSU but could support SSO, correct? The line cards would still reset with the sup32 if the image on the cards was different?

Is the image that is loaded to the cards the same image that is loaded to the supervisors?

How does that part work? Is it the supervisor image or some part of it, like bootrom or something of the sort.

Thanks in advance.

Interesting to note.

So in the truest sense, full eFSU support is impossible without DFC enabled cards (at least 512MB) installed in the chassis.

Correct. There is no place to hold the image file. On this case, the DFC enabled modules behave the same as the Supervisor modules as Supervisors have a PFC.

Meaning a supervisor32 could not ever support eFSU but could support SSO, correct? The line cards would still reset with the sup32 if the image on the cards was different?

eFSU with Supervisor32 is not as useful as with Supervisor720 + DFC enabled modules.

The line cards without DFC in them, will undergo a hard reset during switchover, and the software image loads after the module restarts.

How does that part work? Is it the supervisor image or some part of it, like bootrom or something of the sort.

I recommend you take a look at the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/issu_efsu.html

HTH,

__

Edison

Please remember to rate useful posts

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card