Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6500 w/Sup-720 sup-bootdisk error

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

I'm trying to upgrade the IOS on a 6500 Sup-720 and I'm getting an error I haven't seen before.  Has anyone seen this:

Loading s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin from 10.9.0.81 (via Vlan2): !

%Error writing sup-bootdisk:/s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI3.bin (Bad service code)

I can't seem to find anything about this particular error.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I believe the error means the IOS is unable to read the sup-bootdisk and its contents.

May be the filesystem might have got corrupted.

1) Can you try formating/erasing the sup-bootdisk??

- command may be something like "format sup-bootdisk" or "erase sup-bootdisk"

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T REBOOT THE SUP ENGINE AFTER FORMATING OR ERASING THE SUP-BOOTDISK, have an IOS in another disk and point your boot system command to the IOS which is on another disk, because during reboot if the SUP is not able to read an IOS from sup-bootdisk  then it will go to rommon mode....

2) Did you try doing the same after rebooting the SUP engine? did it throw the same error again?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brandon,

I've never seen this error message before.

Have you checked the MD5 checksum using the command "verify /md5 "?

Hi,

I haven't been able to run the MD5 verify on this particular device, but I did run it on another device that I copied this same image over to at the same time I was trying to copy this one.  I also tried copying a different image over, with the same result.  

I'm also getting that error when I try and delete a file from the sup-bootdisk, so it seems like it's something with the filesystem.

--Brandon

Hi,

I believe the error means the IOS is unable to read the sup-bootdisk and its contents.

May be the filesystem might have got corrupted.

1) Can you try formating/erasing the sup-bootdisk??

- command may be something like "format sup-bootdisk" or "erase sup-bootdisk"

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T REBOOT THE SUP ENGINE AFTER FORMATING OR ERASING THE SUP-BOOTDISK, have an IOS in another disk and point your boot system command to the IOS which is on another disk, because during reboot if the SUP is not able to read an IOS from sup-bootdisk  then it will go to rommon mode....

2) Did you try doing the same after rebooting the SUP engine? did it throw the same error again?

Thanks for the replies. I tried reformatting the sup-bootdisk and that appeared to work -- I was able to copy over the image successfully.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks to letting know that it worked and resolved your issue

But still the topic is shown as Not Answered

hi brandon..since your question is answered can u kindly mark the thread as answered as others can learn from it and oh yea please dont forget to rate the engineers who have helped you here they deserve it

Hi guys,

While I do appreciate the responses, my issue is currently not resolved.  Although I was able to copy over a new image on the freshly reformatted sup-bootdisk, a subsequent reload has dropped me into Rommon and I'm not able to boot the switch anymore.  I'm receiving errors such as:

open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0xffffffff

trouble reading device magic number

loadprog: error - on file open

and

device does not contain a valid magic number

boot: cannot open "bootdisk:"

I was able to boot the device by bringing in another CF card with an image installed on it.  I did a couple more reboots to see if I could get it to read my sup-bootdisk again, but it appears that my sup-bootdisk is in a permanently corrupted state.

Even though I can read it from within IOS, it won't boot off of it.  Odd.

Thanks for your help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card