cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6509 Power Supply Problem

dtabligan
Level 1
Level 1

We just recently had a power supply gone bad in a 6509 chassis. When checked, the breaker has tripped. Logs showed

"%C6KPWR-SP-2-PSFAIL: power supply 1 output failed". These are WS-CAC-4000W-US in redundant configuration.

We checked the output of the panel and confirmed the voltages are correct. After replacing it with a known good power supply, and confirming the power feed, when we turned on the power, a pop was heared, then the breaker tripped again. The chassis sees the insertion but never the power on. When removed, the switch also sees the removal. Is there a good way to diagnose the power supply outside of the chassis or is the chassis bad already and can cause this problem?

2 Replies 2

Limitless1801
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We had a similar issue and it was due to two different problems.

The first issue was that the power suppy had gone bad. The second problem was that the power was not properly distributed to all the power outlets causing an overload that triggered the breaker. Like you, voltage looked good but the problem persisted. Electricians had to dig deeper to find the problem.

I hope it helps.

RG

vinayk3
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

do you have any other chasis connected to same power source. If yes try using the power supplies there if power supplies work fine there it could be the chassis issue.

However reading your porblem here my first doubt goes on the power source so i think that should be checked first.

Thanks

Vinay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card