cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalkyst express 500 - 2960 gateway 2811 and me. Please help

malarie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there, I will explain my situation, it might be a little long but its not complicated, Any suggestion would be apreciated.

Old Setup:

3 Catalyst Switches Connected together

1 Ip gateway 2811 (routing 192.168.A.XXX to 192.168.B.XXX (My ip phones are on the A.XXX network))

Everything works fine.

====================================

Since my network was a little bit slow due to the Cat Expr 500 connected together in a cascading method, i decided to buy a Cisco 2960G switch and use it as a bridge for all my CAT 500.

This switch have 8X1GB ports and does not provide POE.

I assigned the 2960G 4 switch roles and I connected my 4 Catalyst switches to the 2960G using their 1GB port. Everything works fine, I an happy.

I then decided to connect my Cisco 2800 gateway to one catalyst 500 express switch and i gave it the Router role.

No i have a problem, The gateway provides Ip telephony to the switch it is connected to only. If i want all my 4 Catalyst Express 500 switches to work with my ip system, I have to link them together through a random port a little bit like this: Switch1-->Switch2-->Switch3-->Switch-->4

Of course all my 4 switches are ALSO connected to my 2960 using their 1GB port

Is there a way I can connect my Cisco 2800 in my 2960G so it can provide the service to all the Catalyst switches?? If yes should i assign a particular port??

Whats the point on having a 2960G to speed up the network if I still have to connect my 4 catalyst express switches together? :(

Thanks for your time and your help.

4 Replies 4

answanso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't understand why you don't connect the 2811 to the 2960G...To me, from what you describe above it makes more sense. This is what I would do:

_CE500-1

/_CE500-2

2811----2960 _

\_CE500-3

CE500-4

Between the 2811 and 2960 create a trunk. On the 2811, create a sub-interface for each vlan on the CE500's. Assign each sub-interface an IP address for that particular vlan.

On the 2960 create for trunks, 1 to each CE500.

When you add hosts make sure that their default gateway points to the sub-interface on the 2811. This will do the inter-vlan routing for your hosts.

This is called routing on a stick, because there is one trunk port uplink and all vlan traffic goes to the 2811 for routing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a008008742b.html#4662

Thanks a lot for your reply Answanso.

I will try that as soon as possible.

I

Thanks

I suspect you mean between your internet connection and the 2811 you have a firewall. This will be between your internal networks. The router will know about them via directly connected routes, which will be more specific then a default route, if that is what your using. So you should not have a routing issue. With that said I have not seen your configuration so I can not say with 100% certainty.

gminnis
Level 1
Level 1

Create a vlan for the switches. Assign the ports they are connected to, to that vlan. Then assighn the cat 500 management default vlan an ip address in that range.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: