cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2900 XL CMS does not load

im_etten1
Level 1
Level 1

I recently acquired a 2924M XL that was taken out of service and I am trying to use it at home. I have it setup as a stand alone switch, and I can access the switch from another PC by my web browser and the IP of the switch. I found out that the switch has IOS release 12.0(5)WC3. What I am trying to do is access the switch by the CMS from the switch main page and it starts to load then the Java application fails and all I get is a blank screen. I would like update the software to 12.0.(5)WC16 but I don't know how to upgrade it using the Telnet? Is it possible to use Win XP, IE7 & the latest version of Java to access the CMS page? I read in some documentation that IE5 or 5.5 and Java Plug-in 1.3.1 is supported...

Update:

I have been doing some messing around and I got it to work. I updated the switch software from 12.0(5)WC3b to 12.0(5)WC16 using a TFTP server that was free from SolarWinds. After I got that updated I tried Win2000, IE 5.0, Java plug-in 1.3.0 & 1.3.1. I did not get this configuration to work. I then tried WinXP with IE7 & the Java plug-in 1.4.0 and it worked great! So I answered my own questions...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

This first post of such types in the whole of netpro !!! ques & ans on the same post :) pls mark the post as solved which can help others..

Raj

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

This first post of such types in the whole of netpro !!! ques & ans on the same post :) pls mark the post as solved which can help others..

Raj

im_etten1
Level 1
Level 1

I thought I would post more info on what I did for the upgrade. I used the link at the bottom to upgrade my software on the switch. I have the 8MB switch and following the directions worked but I ran into a couple of issues:

When I tried to extract the .tar file I got an error saying there was not enough memory. I had to delete the current_image.bin file (Common TFTP Procedure step 5), character string with the "mz" & html files (Common TFTP Procedure - beginning with step 6). I also deleted the config.old since I lost the password and had to reset the swith. This gave me enough space to extract & update the software.

My next problem was getting an error message when loading the flash. The section "Getting error loading flash Error Messages" fixed that problem.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800946e5.shtml#tftp_upgrade_tar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card