Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2900XL - Conflicting DRAM values

Ellerby01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, can anyone help?

I have a WS- C2924C-XL switch that I would like to upgrade the IOS version on. The IOS version in question can only be installled on an 8MB version of this switch, I have tried to confirm the amount of memory present in the device but I am getting conflicting values depending on where I look.

The model number would indicate that this device is a 4MB version, therefore not compatable with the upgrade.

Running the show version command from the CLI shows Processor having 8192K/1024K bytes of memory

Accessing the switch via the VMS management interface displays a value of 4MB

So which is it?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi.

The output from "sh ver" is usually accurate.

Have a look at this doc for more info on DRAM sizes for the 2900 series and sh ver output

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800946e5.shtml

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi.

The output from "sh ver" is usually accurate.

Have a look at this doc for more info on DRAM sizes for the 2900 series and sh ver output

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800946e5.shtml

HTH

Thanks Reza,

The link you attached is a much clearer document that any of the others I have seen, with the help of this extra info, it is clear that the switch I have is a:

WS-C2924C-XL-EN - 8MB DRAM

Thanks for your help,

Hi

Now that the issue has been resolved can you please mark the treat as resolved so other people can take an advantage of it?

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DRAM?

2900 comes in two "flavours:  4 or 8 mb Flash.

Can you post the output to the command "dir" or "dir flash:"?

Issue resolved, but thanks for responding

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card