Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960 POE Switch Consumption Mode

AlexHowe100
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm curious how I can configure a 2960 to function in POE consumption mode. I know with other switches you can explicitly configure them to only give devices the power they consume and not power based on what class the belong to.

I have read that the following command should do what I need:

power inline consumption wattage

...although I would have thought I wouldn't need to specify the wattage if I wanted the device to tell the switch how much power it needs.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The "power inline consumption" command is a global config that applies to the entire switch to override the default:

from the command reference guide

Use the power inline consumption global or interface configuration command on the switch stack or on a standalone switch to override the amount of power specified by the IEEE classification for the device by specifying the wattage used by each powered device. Use the no form of this command to return to the default power setting.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12-2_44_se/command/reference/cr1/cli1.html#wp8821622

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The "power inline consumption" command is a global config that applies to the entire switch to override the default:

from the command reference guide

Use the power inline consumption global or interface configuration command on the switch stack or on a standalone switch to override the amount of power specified by the IEEE classification for the device by specifying the wattage used by each powered device. Use the no form of this command to return to the default power setting.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12-2_44_se/command/reference/cr1/cli1.html#wp8821622

HTH

Excellent.

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card