Tommy Svensson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a setup as follows:

LAN1 ----- Router1-------

LAN2 ----- Router2-------Switch1-------Switch2-------Internet

LAN3 ----- Router3-------

In this topoligy the Cisco Catalyst 2960-s is Switch2, the last thing before the Internet for LAN1, LAN2 and LAN3.

There is one cable connected between Switch1 and Switch2 and i cant change this matter.

Now my goal is so that LAN1 has 10 Mbit/s up and down bandwidth speed, LAN2 and LAN3 both have 5 Mbit/s up and down bandwidth speed. And this all must be set in Switch2, som im guessing that i have to set QoS based on the external IP of Router1, Router2 and Router3.

However, when i look for the command "policy-map" in conf t mode i cannot find it. Do i have the wrong software or do i go about it in another way other then policy map?

Kind regards,

Tommy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wrong switch. You cannot upgrade a LAN Lite switch to LAN Base or the other way around.

From http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-577519_ps12200_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

Q. Can a Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series LAN Lite switch be upgraded to LAN Base?

A. No. The feature set is bound to the hardware model. To get the features and capabilities of LAN Base, you must purchase a LAN Base switch.

Q. What are the notable differences between the Cisco Catalyst 2960 and 2960-S LAN Base and LAN Lite switches?

A. Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base switches have several advantages:

• Enhanced security with Layer 2 through 4 access control lists (ACLs), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) snooping, and more extensive Network Admission Control (NAC) capabilities such as web authentication and 802.1X enhancements

• Additional quality of service (QoS) capabilities: The LAN Base software supports policing, class and policy maps, security ACLs, differentiated services code point (DSCP), AutoQoS, and configurable queue weights, buffers, and thresholds

• Higher network-level availability with features such as FlexLink and link state tracking

• Increased number of VLANs (256) and other enhancements, such as IPv6 host, Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping, Link Layer Discovery Protocol Media Endpoint Devices (LLDP-MED), Remote SPAN (RSPAN), multicast VLAN registration (MVR), DHCP option 82, and IP SLA (responder)

Q. Can I upgrade or downgrade a Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switch between the LAN Base and LAN Lite images?

A. No. Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches cannot be upgraded from LAN Lite to LAN Base and cannot be downgraded from LAN Base to LAN Lite.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Glenn Matthys
Level 1
Level 1

Only Catalyst 2960S with LAN Base software support QoS. LAN Lite switches do not support QoS.

So im guessing i have the wrong switch then, or is it just the wrong software?

Wrong switch. You cannot upgrade a LAN Lite switch to LAN Base or the other way around.

From http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/qa_c67-577519_ps12200_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

Q. Can a Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series LAN Lite switch be upgraded to LAN Base?

A. No. The feature set is bound to the hardware model. To get the features and capabilities of LAN Base, you must purchase a LAN Base switch.

Q. What are the notable differences between the Cisco Catalyst 2960 and 2960-S LAN Base and LAN Lite switches?

A. Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base switches have several advantages:

• Enhanced security with Layer 2 through 4 access control lists (ACLs), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) snooping, and more extensive Network Admission Control (NAC) capabilities such as web authentication and 802.1X enhancements

• Additional quality of service (QoS) capabilities: The LAN Base software supports policing, class and policy maps, security ACLs, differentiated services code point (DSCP), AutoQoS, and configurable queue weights, buffers, and thresholds

• Higher network-level availability with features such as FlexLink and link state tracking

• Increased number of VLANs (256) and other enhancements, such as IPv6 host, Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping, Link Layer Discovery Protocol Media Endpoint Devices (LLDP-MED), Remote SPAN (RSPAN), multicast VLAN registration (MVR), DHCP option 82, and IP SLA (responder)

Q. Can I upgrade or downgrade a Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switch between the LAN Base and LAN Lite images?

A. No. Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches cannot be upgraded from LAN Lite to LAN Base and cannot be downgraded from LAN Base to LAN Lite.

How do i know if another switch is LAN Base? I had this recommended to me by a reseller for QoS managing.

Kind regards,

Tommy

You can tell by "sh ver" on the console or physically on the device

Q. How can I tell the difference between the LAN Base and LAN Lite switches for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series?

A. On the front of the switch, in the top right corner, the LAN Lite switches have "Catalyst 2960-S Series SI." The LAN Base switches have "Catalyst 2960-S Series."

Please read the FAQ at the URL I posted earlier.

This switch was named:

Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-S

Whats a proper LAN Base switch of the 2960-series called?

Kind regards,

Tommy

Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-S <- That is definitely a LAN Lite switch.

You can find an overview of all the 2960 series with LAN Base software here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: