Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 2960 - Send SPAN / RSPAN traffic to same port

I have two 2960's connected with a trunk (i.e. cross connect on Gi0/1 on both switches). I have two ports on each switch (four total) that I am trying to monitor with SPAN/RSPAN on one port / one switch. I can get SPAN to work (send traffic from two source ports on switch 1 to destination port on switch 1); I can also get RSPAN to work (send traffic from two source ports on switch 2 to destination port on switch 1). However, I cannot get both of these to work at the same time - i.e. send SPAN traffic on switch 1 and RSPAN traffic on switch 2 all to a single destination port on switch 1. Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES

Re: Catalyst 2960 - Send SPAN / RSPAN traffic to same port

I'm really not sure if this will work.. Just see the following URL for the guidelines for SPAN and RSPAN...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e6fa.html#wp1042096

On the RSPAN parameters, u need to have the ports on the RSPAN VLANs.. not really sure if this VLAN can take the SPAN traffic.. Will check further and let u know.

Raj

You cannot have a single destination port for both the SPAN and RSPAN session on the 2960's. This is a destination port restriction on the switch. You can have 2 different session with 2 different destination ports and that too with in the SPAN/RSAPN configuration restrictions. Please check the link above posted by Raj for the same restrictions.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

I decided to move the SPAN traffic of both switches to a third switch that is already connected to both - then all traffic is RSPAN and can use a single destination port. My limitation is an IDS server with a single inspection port.

I think that should work in this case. Make sure that you have RSPAN configured on both the switches with source interfaces/vlans and RSPAN vlans and bring this traffic to the third switch where you have destination port connected. this should work in this case.

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content