cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960s vs Catalyst 3850

Brett Williston
Level 1
Level 1

I am a newbie so please excuse my ignorance.

We are bidding out a project.

Will the Catalyst 2960s be capable of terminating a fiber connection?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2960 switches are mainly copper switches. The copper ports are used for end device connectivity e.g servers, PC, laptop, printers, etc..

and 2 fiber ports for uplinks

Are you looking for all fiber switch?

what are you trying to do?

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2960 switches are mainly copper switches. The copper ports are used for end device connectivity e.g servers, PC, laptop, printers, etc..

and 2 fiber ports for uplinks

Are you looking for all fiber switch?

what are you trying to do?

HTH

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

What are you connecting via fibre?

There is a 3750-X all-SFP switch (12 and 24-port options), but not a 3850 series.

Thank you everyone. My local vendor just explained to me the reason for the pricey 3850

Brett,

You are asking a "loaded" question.  Sure the 2960S/2960X and 3850 can terminate fibre optic.  It all depends on how you want it.

Both the 2960S/2960X and the 3850 can be stacked.  When we say "stacked" it means that the each switch models can be connected (at the back using a special stacking cable) to form a single logical switch.

Each 2960S can support a minimum of two SFP/SFP+ or up to four SFP.  The 3850, however, can support up to four SFP/SFP+ fibre.  This is on a single unit.

Before I continue droning on, what EXACTLY are you trying to do and achieve?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card