cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2970 Port Speed

sharafat1978
Level 1
Level 1

I have Catalyst 2970 Switch running on defualt configurations, NO VLAN, NO IP Addressing, FULL DUPLEX, AUTO SPEED.

When i connect 1000Mbps System with this switch, few port shows connectivity at 1000 Mbps and few port shows connectivity at 100 Mbps.

I am unable to rectify this problem, can any one help me in this regard

Thanks

7 Replies 7

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

unfortunately speed and duplex negotiation will not always give you the desired results. The recommendation in this case is to set speed and duplex to the desired values and not to use autonegotiation.

If you are sure both ports interconnected do support GigE then set the speed to 1000 and duplex to full.

Regards, Martin

Thanks for ur support but all ports were working fine and all were showing 1000Mbps, then how they get auto change their status.

What could be the cause,.,. bcz i want to send back these switches to supplier.

it could be a quality degradation in cables

try direct connection using short and new cables cat6.

i have already tried this, i am using standard TYCO cat 6 patch cables.

Try asking the switch what it sees...

test cable-diagnostics tdr int gi0/1

then after a few seconds:

show cable-diagnostics tdr interface gigabitEthernet 0/1

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would look at the nic settings on these systems to see what they are set as , switch settings don't matter if the nic settings are set as something else . The switch can always sense speed ok but if the nic is set as something else then it will set the speed to the nic speed . Also you must verify the patch cables even if new , the cables must have 4 good pairs end to end as gigabit speeds take all 8 conductors , if you have 1 bad wire anywhere in that connection path it will default to 100 meg .

Thanks for ur precious effort but i have checked all the ports of the switch with same nic and same cable,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card