cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3524, Port Monitoring and Voice

don.click1
Level 4
Level 4

Hello. I am looking for a solution to this question. I am adding a 3rd party system to record voice traffic. I have quite a few different Cisco phones that would need to be monitored, and they are on different Cat 3524 switches. I was thinking i could use the "port monitor vlan 206" to be able to get that information, but I have recently read that only vlan 1 is valid.

I am also curious where the destination is? I know on (for example) the cat 4000, you specify a span port by "set span src_port dest_port".

Any help is usefull.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Don,

You can monitor all the ports on a local switch.

The sytax is a little different on 3524 switch as they run IOS. You have to go to the interface configuration of the destination port which will be monitoring the traffic and list all the interfaces under that which will be the source port. For example if you have to monitor ports 1 and 2 and the destination i.e monitor PC is connected to port 3, then do the following

config t

interface fa 0/3

port monitor fa 0/1

port monitor fa 0/2

Also, 3524 switches only support local port monitoring and not the remote port montioring. So if you have to SPAN the ports on different switches, you have to connect destination or monitor PC to each switch with sniffer running on it.

Please see the link below for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc6/scg/swports.html#wp1029077

HTH,please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Don,

You can monitor all the ports on a local switch.

The sytax is a little different on 3524 switch as they run IOS. You have to go to the interface configuration of the destination port which will be monitoring the traffic and list all the interfaces under that which will be the source port. For example if you have to monitor ports 1 and 2 and the destination i.e monitor PC is connected to port 3, then do the following

config t

interface fa 0/3

port monitor fa 0/1

port monitor fa 0/2

Also, 3524 switches only support local port monitoring and not the remote port montioring. So if you have to SPAN the ports on different switches, you have to connect destination or monitor PC to each switch with sniffer running on it.

Please see the link below for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc6/scg/swports.html#wp1029077

HTH,please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card