cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 3560 configuration file

kencranmer
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to download a configuration file for my 4 Catalyst 3560's?

12 Replies 12

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

By download a configuration file for the 3560, I understand: how to save the running-config of the 3560.

The fastest, is to download TFTP32 on your computer.

This will act as a TFTP server.

Then from the CLI of the 3560 type the following:

copy running-config tftp, follow the instructions and then the config file will be stored in the TFTP32 path specified in the program.

OK, here comes my ignorant response. Where do I get TFTP32 and how do I get to the CLI of the 3560? Thanks for your help.

First hit in google :) :

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

I suggest the zip version so there is no installer. Uncompress in a folder and execute the exe.

How do I get to the CLI of my 3560's?

telnet to the ip address from MS-Dos prompt

For telnet/console use:

Grab a copy of Putty and load it up.

Get a blue console cable, connect to PC via db9 and console port on Cisco device, then launch Putty and choose the Serial connect.

Get Putty here:

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

Launch TFTPD32 and get your IP address and do a "copy run tftp" --- enter your IP, accept the file and then have fun.

HTH,

Andy

Serial connection implies that you have physical access. With a telnet you just need to know the ip address and login credentials.

That's true, but from the sound of it... he could probably use the advice and Putty use is applicable either through Serial or IP.

:)

OK, I went through telnet got the file and it was saved on my desktop. What was the TFTP for? Did it use the TFTP without me knowing it? It asked the address where I wanted the destination file to go, so I plugged in the IP address and it was there on my desktop.

Yep, sounds like you had the TFTP program running and listening with the default directory being your desktop folder for incoming files. Assuming you did a "copy run tftp" then put in your desktop IP, then yes it did use TFTP to get the file to you.

:)

TFTPD is a program that turns your pc in a tftp server.

The command copy running-config tftp instructs the switch to send to a tftp server the file, over the TFTP protocol.

Your issue should then now be resolved.

Makes sense. Thanks for all your help in such a timely fashion. Now I don't have to worry if my 3560's go down hard. Hopefully, these config's will help me get back up and running quicker.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card