Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560 ios upgrade to 15.x

amaoxrebeli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Now since my switch Cat 3560 Poe-24 has only 15 megs of Flash memory and latest catalyst software is approximately 20 megs in size, I just wondered is there any way of upgrading Flash module on the switch with more capacity? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no option of expanding the FLASH memory in the Catalyst 3560 series switches. The ones with the 16MB FLASH can unfortunately be upgraded only to the 12.2(55)SEx releases; newer releases might exceed the available FLASH size.

I am sorry to bring in disappointing news :-\

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no option of expanding the FLASH memory in the Catalyst 3560 series switches. The ones with the 16MB FLASH can unfortunately be upgraded only to the 12.2(55)SEx releases; newer releases might exceed the available FLASH size.

I am sorry to bring in disappointing news :-\

Best regards,
Peter

I just wondered if there is a spare slot for memory module inside the switch so that you can plug an extra memory card or something.

The question is not a "spare slot" but rather is there a memory that will pass ECC and allow 24 Mb flash. The answer to that question is no.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Like Peter, I don't know of an approved way to increase the flash module's size on an early 3560.

What you could try, is loading/booting the IOS via tftp.

Hi Joe,

I thought of the same thing - but to my best knowledge, unfortunately, Catalyst 3560 does not even support TFTP in the bootloader mode; the only supported file transfer protocol is Xmodem, and you can only copy the file to flash: but not directly boot from it.

Looks like there's no way here :-(

Best regards,
Peter

As is so often the case, Peter is spot on. I.e. the 3560/3750 boot loader doesn't seem (to natively) support TFTP.

I don't have a 3560 to play with, but I do have a 3570G, running (55)SE11. Its boot loader only supports loading from flash or xmodem.

It also supports loading a helper file from flash, so in theory, if Cisco provided one, with such you should be able to extend boot loader options. I searched the Internet, and at least one other person sought such a helper file, but no one knew of one.

With a 16 MB 3750, in a stack with other 32 MB 3750s, one of the auto upgrade options (for example, boot auto-download-sw supports http, ftp and tftp) might do the trick, but of course, that's not possible with a 3560.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Unless there is a critical need to run 15.X, I'd recommend staying with 12.2(55)SE train because this particular train is one of the most stable codes to ever come out of Cisco.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: