Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3560 solid green LED's after boot image upgrade

Angelo ANELLO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

We recently purchased a Catalyst 3560-48S switch and tried to change the IOS by installing a firmware revision (C3560-IPBASE-M 12.2 (35)SE5) but it was copied to the wrong area.  We submitted "boot system flash:file.bin" and rebooted the switch.  We then found that it would not boot properly and we were able to get into boot mode.  From there we copied the firmware to the local file system using XModem and increased the BAUD rate from 9600 to 115200 to speed things up.  Once the file copy completed we reset the BAUD rate to 9600 and changed it also on the Hyperterminal application.  Now we are unable to get any output from the hyperterminal.

After rebooting again, the switch now does not come up in any emulation software and all of the LED's are golid green.  I tried the manual reset procedure but to no avail.  We powered down the switch for a while and when we rebooted it none of the LED's switched on.  Still no emulation connectivity.  After rebooting again its back to solid green.

Have we destroyed the switch?  Is there another way or procedure to attempt to get back to the boot screen?

Please help!!!

Kind Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shame that you can not replace the flash memory like you do with the routers.

All the best

Eugen

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

When you reboot the switch hold the MODE button in front of it for 30 seconds or so. You will get a message that "The system has been interrupted prior to initializing the flash..........". This will take you to a recovery prompt where you type

switch: flash_init

switch: load_helper

switch: dir flash:

It should display the IOS name(s), set the boot option to IOS that worked before.

Hope this helps

Eugen

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Even though you supposedly set the speed back try setting your terminal emulator back to 115200 and see if you see anything .  Seems i remember someone saying it will not change the console speed back on the 3x50 series without some complex process .  The config register seems to have no effect once changed to another speed.

thanks for the reply.

i have tried changing the baud rate to 115200 on hyperterminal but still nothing comes up.  i will try another terminal emulator and see if that makes a difference.

if i cannot see the console at all, is there a manual procedure to reset the switch to defaults like resetting the flash chip or something?

i left the switch unplugged overnight and when i plugged the power back in, there were no LED's on at all.  I left the switch for about 5 minutes but still nothing.  I unplug the power leave it for a minute then plug the power back in and now all of the LED's are lit and they dont turn off! 

I tried to reset the switch using the MODE button procedure but this does not work.  i have also tried every different baud rate available and still nothing.

please assit

You mention that you used xmodem to transfer the IOS. Did you check the hardware settings on hyper terminal?

The settings from top to bottom should be:

none

none

Hope this helps

Eugen

yes, i have checked the terminal settings and they still do not work.  i have tried using all of the baud rates but still nothing.

when i plug in an ethernet cable to the front switch ports, it automatically disables my NIC and i cannot connect via telnet or web interface.  the NIC works as i have tested it on a working switch.

it looks like upon first bootup, the switch gets "locked" and cannot be accessed at all.  i believe that it is acknowledging the hyperterminal connection as it does show the connection timer at the bottom.  i cannot however see anything on the screen.

What hyper terminal are you using? The default one in Windows? Did you try to use different PC to connect to switch?

Did you try a different rollover console cable? Did you try to change the value of stop bits form 1 to 2? Did you unplug all cables from ports and try rebooting?

If you tried everything above than it may be time to call Cisco technicians, they may know a mechanical way to reset it.

Eugen

Hi Eugene, i have tried all settings in all configurations but still nothing.  I think that the switch has died because when you power on the switch the LED's go solid green and thats it!  they dont change or flash or do anything.  Holding down the MODE button while powering does not work because the switch doesnt look like its going through POST let alone even starting it!

I think we may need to call CISCO techs.

Thanks for you help

Sounds like the switch is indeed dead.

Shame that you can not replace the flash memory like you do with the routers.

All the best

Eugen

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card