cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750 - Host Configuration file is "tftp://x.x.x.x/<config file> in sh ver

deppe2291
Level 1
Level 1

I experienced a heart stopping issue when turning on on my laptop's tftp server to make a backup of another Cisco device on my network. I have a 3 switch stack of WS-C3750-48PS-E on the same subnet which began making automatic and greatly unexpected config changes upon the activation of my tftp server on my laptop. The IP address and config file name referenced in the "sh ver" matched my laptop's IP and the filename matched a backup config I had in the tftp-root folder. Naturally the current running-config was vastly different than the config backup I had in the tftp-root folder so it caused quite a vast number of issues which I spent the remainder of the day resolving. The only sense I could make of the situation was seeing the following when doing a "sh ver"...where x.x.x.x matched the IP of my laptop and the sw-cong matched the old config file name.

SW-EMFADMIN uptime is 41 weeks, 5 days, 21 hours, 4 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c3750-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5/c3750-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5.bin"

Host configuration file is "tftp://x.x.x.x/sw-confg"

The only thing I have found online is the "no service config" global command, which I have already applied. I also found a "no boot host tftp" command, but that would not work as those command options don't seem to apply to the 3750 IOS. Can anyone shed some light on how to safely remove this "host configuration" section from my current config so this madness doesn't occur again?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply 1

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

this command should work as you already pointed out.

"No service config"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080120f48.shtml

It is never a bad idea to harden your devices.

Good luck

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card