Catalyst 3750 replacement procedure when in a stack
1. If I want to replace one switch in the stack (slave switch) in a stack of 4 switches, with a spare do I have to first upgrade my spare 3750 to the same IOS as the other members in the stack or will the current stack master automatically copy the IOS from itself to the new replaced switch.
2.If the answer is that the current stack master will automatically copy the IOS from itself to the new replaced spare, then is the answer the same whether the new spare is a higher or lower version of IOS than the current master. Or will I get a version mismatch error under some circumstances.
3. Lastly will the config get automatically copied from the master to the new spare.
Re: Catalyst 3750 replacement procedure when in a stack
Ok, you would get as many suggestions & ideas as many documents you read. I have done around 50's if not 100's of stack upgrades & I would give you the best & easiest way to upgrade the stack without ending up with a down core.
1) The new spare switch that you want to add to the stack, is not on the network obviously, so the best is to upgrade or downgrade it to the version that is currently running on your stack.
2) Using the command 'switch 1 priority 1' command make the spare switch a lower priority than your master. If your master switch has a priority of 1, then use the command 'switch priority 15'. The higher the priority of a switch the better chance it has of becoming the master. We do this step so that in no circumstance the new spare switch becomes the master.
3) Make sure that the new spare switch is powered off.
4) Connect the stacking cables between the spare switch & the master switch.
5) Once the cables are connected power on the new switch
6) It should gracefully join the stack as a member
You do not have to worry at all about copying the configuration or template or anything. In a stack the configuration is on the master so you DO NOT need to do anything with the configuration of the spare switch.
We are pleased to announce availability of Beta software for 16.6.3.
16.6.3 will be the second rebuild on the 16.6 release train targeted
towards Catalyst 9500/9400/9300/3850/3650 switching platforms. We are
looking for early feedback from customers befor...
Introduction Featured Speakers Luis Espejel is the Telecommunications
Manager of IENova, an Oil & Gas company. Currently he works with Cisco
IOS® and Cisco IOS XE platforms, and NX to some extent. He has also
worked as a Senior Engineer with the Routing P...
In this session you can learn more about Layer 3 multicast and the best
practices to identify possible threats and take security measures. It
provides an overview of basic multicast, the best security practices for
use of this technology, and recommendati...