Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 3750 Smartport Roles

I have 4 stacks of Catalyst 3750 switches for my LAN infrastructure, and they're all configured with multiple VLANs, QoS, etc. in conjunction with a Unified Communications system. On most of my client ports, I've applied the IP Phone+Desktop smartport roles, and likewise AP/Switch/Router roles for those devices.

My question is this-- is it appropriate to apply a smartport role on the switch ports connected to ASA devices (ie. can an ASA be treated as a switch or router)? If not, in addition to trunking, what other parameters should applied to those ports to optimally configure them?

Everyone's tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Catalyst 3750 Smartport Roles

muranskycotech wrote:

I have 4 stacks of Catalyst 3750 switches for my LAN infrastructure, and they're all configured with multiple VLANs, QoS, etc. in conjunction with a Unified Communications system. On most of my client ports, I've applied the IP Phone+Desktop smartport roles, and likewise AP/Switch/Router roles for those devices.

My question is this-- is it appropriate to apply a smartport role on the switch ports connected to ASA devices (ie. can an ASA be treated as a switch or router)? If not, in addition to trunking, what other parameters should applied to those ports to optimally configure them?

You can treat the ASA as a router to all intents and purposes. Although you talk about trunking, are you trunking yout switch to the firewall ?

Jon

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Okay, personally i would just configure it manually because it makes sense to only allow the vlans you need on the trunk link ie.

int gi0/1  <-- this connects to ASA

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan

Jon

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

muranskycotech wrote:

You can treat the ASA as a router to all intents and purposes. Although you talk about trunking, are you trunking yout switch to the firewall ?

Jon

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

I do, because I have some of my VLAN's crossing over WAN connections, and also some of my VLAN's haven't been reconfigured to use the router as the default gateway and instead are using the ASA.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Okay, personally i would just configure it manually because it makes sense to only allow the vlans you need on the trunk link ie.

int gi0/1  <-- this connects to ASA

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan

Jon

Excellent, thanks for the help!

Views
Helpful
Replies