cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750X-48P switch ports dead

cburrus
Level 1
Level 1

I work at a hospital and we have 3750X-48P switches in stacks in various locations throughout the hospital.  We have noticed that when an EKG machine is plugged into one of the ports on some of these switches and the EKG machines are set manually to 100/Full, the ports are no longer usable until the switch is restarted.  The switch is configured for auto.  If the EKG machine is set to auto, it will work and not cause problems.  The link on the interface will show up/up and there will be output packets increasing.  However, there will be no inputs on the link and the port is unusable.  Unfortunately, even when the device is removed, the port becomes unusable for any device.  Has anyone seen this issue?  Is there any way to fix this problem without rebooting the switch?

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the update.  Taking a look now.  Regression testing must have missed this issue in 12.2.58.  Bummer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using the same IOS image on all your switches? What version?

They are all using Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9NPE-M), Version 12.2(55)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2). We have tried other code, such as 15.0, as well.

Chris Burrus

Sr. Network Analyst

Sarasota Memorial Health Care System

941-917-2545

jimlopresto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

We have seen the same behavior in a four switch stack we just setup.  We are running

c3750e-ipbasek9-mz.122-58.SE2.  In our case, the 3750x switches are only 24-port models.

As systems were migrated to switches in the stack, if the devices were hard coded, 100/full, 1000/full, the port would stop working.  The link light stayed green, but we saw the same behavior you describe with the output counters increasing and the input counters not changing.  Devices that were set to auto and connected showed no issues.

Shutting/no shutting the port does nothing, and as in your case, the only way to fix this is to reboot the switch.  Given the critical nature of what is being connected to these switches, we have decided to pull the stacked 3750x switches and go with 48-port 3560 switches.

I am interested to see what Cisco has to say on this as given you have tried multiple IOS versions, it sounds like it might be hardware related.

Will continue to monitor this thread to see if anybody from Cisco responds with more suggestions or details.

Good luck.

cburrus
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that I have found a solution for the problem.  Cisco recently came out with 12.2.55.SE5 code, which apparently fixes this issue.    At this time 15.X or 12.2.58 code doesn't fix this issue.  According to release notes: 

Caveats Resolved in Cisco IOS Release 12.2(55)SE5

CSCtn11683 (Catalyst 3560-X and 3750-X switches)

The port stops forwarding traffic. The packets sent counter increments but the receive counter does

not increment.

The workaround is to save the configuration and restart the switch.  Below is the link to the release notes for this code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/release/notes/OL23053.pdf

I installed it on one of our stacks and attached a device that causes this problem.  The results were good, as it continued to operate normally.

Good luck.

Thanks for the update.  Taking a look now.  Regression testing must have missed this issue in 12.2.58.  Bummer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco