cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4006 L3 Switch (RMON?)

glynncounty
Level 1
Level 1

I have ver 12.1.(13)EW on this switch. We have a Fluke OptiView to help in network troubleshooting. But in order to pull a history from the device I have to turn on RMON.. In the 4006 under config t... You have two choice with RMON alarm or RMON event I don't understand how I use these so I can see the usage history from our Fluke Optiview...

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

you can use the following for RMON

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/nm_cfg_rmon_sup_ps6017_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

or

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/nm_cfg_rmon_sup_ps6017_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

with RMON the devices collects SNMP MIB variables over time on itself and can send messages (alarms) when a specified condition (event) happens this is different from SNMP polling where an agent performs gets every x minutes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Router(config-if)# rmon collection history {controlEntry integer} [owner ownername] [buckets bucket-number] [interval seconds]

Enables an RMON history group of statistics on an interface.

rmon collection history is what I believe I have and naturally I guess either my IOS doesn't support it or I need another Sup engine.

4000 IOS 12.1 only supports mini-RMON

What sup model do you have?

according to cisco view...

WS-X4515 Supervisor Engine IV

Hello David,

the link I've provided is not specific of your platform.

of course what you see is what you can get on the device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Supervisor Engine IV can run 12.2 codes so you can consider moving to a newer IOS but consult with Fluke to know what kind of config you need on the switch for your particular traffic/event monitoring needs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card