Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

catalyst 4500 line console security?

What are some other security measures I could take on the line console 0 besides physical security and local login? Could I change the baud speed? Could I change or disable the break sequence? Could I disable password recovery? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: catalyst 4500 line console security?

I don't have a Catalyst 4500 to test on but I believe you can change the config-register in config mode.

I just tried in a 6500,

(config)#config-register ?

<0x0-0xFFFF> Config register number

6 REPLIES

Physical security and local login should cover it. If you can, implement ACS or RADIUS for external account management - authentication and accounting.

Don't bother with disabling password recovery, it's more hassle than it's worth.

Community Member

So there's really no way to protect the console connection from the break sequence after a hard restart? Just in case someone does get access or a disgruntled tech employee. I was able to change the baud speed, so now you have to match the speed, but does that only take effect after the start config is loaded. Thanks.

Community Member

Just what I need! Thanks. One last question if you dont mind, I just want to confirm, in order to edit these configs I need to be in rommon mode, not while running in the ios? If so I need to reboot the switch and proceed with the break seq? Thanks again Edison.

I don't have a Catalyst 4500 to test on but I believe you can change the config-register in config mode.

I just tried in a 6500,

(config)#config-register ?

<0x0-0xFFFF> Config register number

Community Member

well I think I have enough info to mess up something. thanks for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content