Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4500 switch freezes

o.osunkiyesi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a catalyst 4500 switch on my network, fairly new, its actually not up to a year old and its running on IOS version 12.2(31)SG.

Couple of days ago, it just frooze out, and the whole network grounded to a halt, i could not console into or get into it in any other way at all

I eventually had to reboot it to be able to access it and resolve the problem.

4500s are supoosed to be rugged, does anybody has a clue/solution?

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

look in the flash (dir) and see if there is a crash dump. If there is open a TAC case and submit it. They'll be able to tell you whats wrong.

I already checked it no crash info (

Last crash: never), any other clues/suggestions please?

The next thing I would check is for bugs in that version of code. You can do that at http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/ It does require CCO login. Do you have the switch reporting to SYSLOG?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Once you reboot you lose all the logg info so it would just be speculation at this point, could have been someone plugged in something they shouldn't and caused a bridging loop and this could cause it to drive the cpu to saturation so it looked like it hung , just speculation though .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card