cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500X all ports Gigabit/10Gigabit?

amp512_nyph
Level 1
Level 1

Are all ports on Catalyst 4500X Gigabit/10-Gigabit or just the ports on 8-port module. We are looking at 4500X for campus distribution layer but need Gig ports to access switches for now and may year from now will be using 10G.

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is module's part number?

Usually for the 4500 and 6500 the blades are Gig or 10Gig not both.

Specifically - WS-C4500X-40X-ES. It is a brand new platform and based on what I read Cisco started shipping products about a month or two ago.

Yes, you can do Gig or 10Gig with these new switches.  All you have to do is change optics, but it only applies to the 32 port and 16 port

From the data sheet:

module. Both the 32- and 16-port versions can be  configured with optional network modules and offer similar features. The  Small Form-Factor Pluggable Plus (SFP+) interface supports both  10 Gigabit Ethernet and 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports, allowing customers to  use their investment in 1 Gigabit Ethernet SFP and upgrade to 10 Gigabit  Ethernet when business demands change, without having to do a  comprehensive upgrade of the existing deployment. The uplink module is  hot swappable.

Here is the link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps10902/ps12332/data_sheet_c78-696791.html

HTH

So does that mean the 8-port module can only do 10G and not 1G/10G? I read that data sheet and the video data sheet from "sachin gupta" but it is not clear enough (to me at least) because for the most part it says 10 Gigabit and  I want to make sure we have 1G/10G on all ports including 8-port mod otherwise will have to look at Nexus 5548P with L3 mod.

Correct, the 8 port is only 10Gig, because it is designed to be used as uplinks.

If you are looking for low latency switches for data center, Nexus works well.

Hello.

I am looking at using the 4500X and also need to run 1G copper (with GLC-T) on access ports only. I dont need the 8 port uplink module to run 1G as 10G is good for me.

I have just been configuring one of these on config tool and I can run all ports in 1G/10G and also run the 8 port uplink module in 1G/10G.

Are you saying the uplink can only run 10G? Excuse me for jumping in.

link to data sheet...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500x/installation/notes/OL_26540.html

Ragards,

Garry.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are all ports on Catalyst 4500X Gigabit/10-Gigabit or just the ports on 8-port module.

4500X ports are 1/10 Gbps support.

4500X port density comes in several flavours:  16-, 24-, 32- and 40-ports of 10 Gbps/port.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card