cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4503-E linecard support

Andy Infante
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4503-e with WS-X4013+TS supervisor and WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 card.  I purchased a WS-X4648-RJ45-E card and installed but IOS says its unsupported.  Supervisor is running 12.2(46)SG software and 12.2(31r)SGA firmware.  Obviously I'm hoping this cars can be supported somehow.  Do I need to upgrade software or firmware, or return the linecard and get equivalent supported card?  Oh, system is running Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software. (cat4500-IPBASEK9-M)

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your code should be high enough , only need 12.2.40SG .  I would check to see if your power supplies can supply enough power for that  48 port poe card. Your other card is not a poe card.   Use the show power commands to see how much capacity you have left.  It is not a code level issue. check the logs also those may give you a hint as to why it is not coming online.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Glen's got a point.

Another gotcha with the PoE line card is that some only go as high as 7.0 w PoE. 

Hi Andy,

First upgrade the IOS to 12.2(50)SG, as per the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2710/ps5494/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea_ps4324_Products_Data_Sheet.html

@glen 12.2(40) is for WS-X4648-RJ45V-E module.

Regards

Nitin

Nitin is correct didn't catch the "V" in the card name ,upgrade to 12.2.50sg  and try .

Andy Infante
Level 1
Level 1

The only POE on this switch is the 12 ports on the supervisor card.  I just upgraded the IOS to version 12.2.54sg1 (latest) and it still is telling me unsupported.  Now, I had some issues getting system to boot with that version - downloaded corrupt version adn had to get again and boot tftp from rommon.  It's up and running now, but when I copied the image again to bootflash: and verified, I did not get a verification complete message.  Different problem, but still there anyway.  I opened a ticket with Cisco, so waiting to hear back.  Was thinking of getting v15 IOS and see if that makes a difference?  Ideas?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Could be your supervisor.  Looks like it may only be supported on 6 and 7  sup's.

Cisco Catalyst 4500 46xx E-Series Line Cards

24 Gbps

Cisco Catalyst 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R-E, 4507R+E, 4510R-E, and 4510R+E2

Supervisor Engine 7-E,

Supervisor Engine 7L-E,

Supervisor Engine 6-E,

Supervisor Engine 6L-E

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco