Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 4506 power cycle precautions

We are planning a project to tidy our server racks and part of this requires that we power down our 2 cisco catalyst 4506 switches in order to move them to a new rack. I've been tasked with finding out whether it is OK to cycle power on these switces as one would for normal networking equipment is or whether there are certain steps to follow that would avoid headache once they get turned on again? I could not find anything on this in the documentation and would imagine they can just be switched off and on again, but if anybody knows anymore on this topic then please let me know.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES

Re: Catalyst 4506 power cycle precautions

I'm not sure if there is any document which talk about this.

as per my experience, you should first save configuration on the device as well as take backup on the TFTP server before switching it off.

check if "show post" command works on the switch, if it works and is successful, it means there is no problem in the hardware currently on the running switch.

Then instead of switching off directly from the power feeder, switch off the power supply on the chassis of the switch and then power off the feeding unit.

Once you are powering up the device, you can first power on the feeding unit and then switch on the power supply on the chassis of the switch.

switch should come up without any issues, but if something goes wrong with the config, you can always configure it with the backup you have taken earlier.

hope it help .... rate if it does ....

best of luck ....

Purple

Re: Catalyst 4506 power cycle precautions

I would log into the switch and save the config just to make sure someone didn't make a change and not save it to memory . Do a "write mem" from the command line . Otherwise just power it off like any other piece of gear .

Views
Helpful
Replies