Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4506 strange behavior

AntonLemon
Level 1
Level 1

For about month ago I become to get error messages in 4506 log:

2w5d: %C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: NullEntry FwdCam Consistency Check Failed: index 65322

2w5d: %C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: NullEntry FwdCam Consistency Check Failed: index 65324

2w5d: %C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: NullEntry FwdCam Consistency Check Failed: index 65326

2w5d: %C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-MASKTABLECONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: MaskTable Consistency Check Failed: block 4081 index 8162

2w5d: %C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-MASKTABLECONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: MaskTable Consistency Check Failed: block 4082 index 8164

2w5d: %C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-MASKTABLEREGIONCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: MaskTable Consistency Check Failed: region 3

Everything was fine, but sometimes (1 or 2 times per day) a random computer in the network stop accessing any IPs outside his subnet (gateway Catalyst 4506 stay visible for him). All time That happens only with computers in same Vlan. (i've more than 100 vlans). This error take place for about 1 hour and then dissapear.

I've suggestion to update IOS, but today i found the stragest thing:

When this problem occure, running PING from problem computer outside his subnet gives 90-95% unreachebles, BUT when running PING with -s in windows or -R in Unix (this param inserts route information into icmp packet) - in the result I have 100% this type of ping reachs any destination.

Please, give me a right way to solve this problem in case heaving any ideas.

8 Replies 8

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Anton

All supporting doc pointing towards faulty hardware ....

FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECK :

1.%C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: [char] FwdCam Consistency Check Failed: index [dec]

There is a FwdCam consistency check failure. If this error occurs frequently, it could indicate faulty hardware.

Recommended Action: If the problem persists, contact your technical support representative.

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message.

2.%C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: FwdCam Consistency Check Failed: index [dec]

There is a FwdCam consistency check failure. If this error occurs frequently, it could indicate faulty hardware.

Recommended Action: If the problem persists, contact your technical support representative.

MASKTABLECONSISTENCYCHECK :

1.%C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-MASKTABLECONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: MaskTable Consistency Check Failed: block [dec] index [dec]

There was a mask table consistency check failure. If this error occurs frequently, it could indicate faulty hardware.

Recommended Action: This is an informational message only. No action is required.

2.C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-MASKTABLECONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: MaskTable Consistency Check Failed: block [dec]

There was a mask table consistency check failure. If this error occurs frequently, it could indicate faulty hardware.

Recommended Action: This is an informational message only. No action is required.

regds

How to better diagnose this "faulty hardware"?

Hi Anton,

C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED: NullEntry FwdCam Consistency Check Failed :

means there was an inconsistency between the H/W TCAM entry and the CPU copy of the

entry.This can be caused by H/W problem or by something transient like cosmic ray.

The H/W TCAM entry which is what the switch actually uses to forward packets,can be checked with the following commands:

show platform software ip route [all/network[destination]]

show platform hardware ip route [all/network[destination]]

If the message consistently shows then it could be a H/W problem but if it's just once, then it could've been caused by something transient and no need to replace the sup.

Work around or solution :1. Reload the switch and check whether you are getting same message

2.Go for IOS upgradation.

3.If the problem still persists then better change the H/W.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

satish

Hi Anton ,

Below link is useful one...check it out..

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_1_19/message/emsg.htm#1190743

Thanks,

satish

Hi,

I am having the same issue with a 4500. Was it indeed a H/W issue or a reboot did the trick?

./G

I had to replace broken SupervisorIV module.

I was hoping for a different answer :). Anyways i will reboot and see if the error appears again.

Thanks,

./G

Hello,

what about the error message :

%C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FTECONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED:

Is the workaround  the same as it was for C4K_L3HWFORWARDING-3-FWDCAMCONSISTENCYCHECKFAILED?

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card