Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4507R- issue with Voice and Data Vlan

TcsHungary
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a VTP transparent 4507 R with a trunk to the core switch . All Vlans are allowed on the trunk.

Also, locally I have created vlan 9 which is a data vlan.

Once , I configure the Gi port to use the data vlan and the voice vlan which is created on the core switch , the phones wont boot.

The modules in the 4507 R are X4548GB PoE.

switchport access vlan 9

switchport voice vlan 53

Vlan 9 is locally created on the 4507R.

If I use any other vlan for data ( except this Vlan 9) , the phones dont have any problem ; they boot up and download all the config from the DHCP.

Have anyone seen this before?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is vlan 9 on the core switch as well. Also what type of phones are you using. We use Nortel and the data vlan is used to get an IP address first so if the data vlan does not exist on your core switch it wouldn't work.

Jon

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

T:

Vlan 53 may exist on the core switch and may be allowed on the trunk to the 4507, but is it configured on the 4507 also? It should be. In fact, both vlans must be configured on both switches.

On 4507:

vlan 53

name Voice_vlan

vlan 9

name data_vlan

On 6509 Core:

vlan 53

name Voice_vlan

vlan 9

name data_vlan

-Victor

Hi,

Vlan 53 exists on the Transparent , because previously it was in client mode so all the vlans are there.

Vlan 9 is only on the 4507 transparent and not created on the Core.

Thing is that before creting this Vlan 9 on the transparent , I was using another Vlan which was indeed made on the Core and travelled through trunk and it was still not working.

I have another switch with the same config and there are no issues with the Voice or data.

Now , out of 96 ports PoE , if I am using only 30-40 , then the phones are OK , if I patch all the 96 ports then no phones are working.

Power supply is 2x2800.

Phones are Avaya

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card