cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4510's

joereid44
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone used a 4510 as an access switch, i have inherited a system doing just that, and to be honest the cabling is a logistical nightmare. I've got two supervisors, one 48 port SFP card, and seven 48 port RJ45 cards. This is causing a huge headache just because of the quantity of cabling in the rack. Anyone else using a 4510 for this type of role?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Joe:

There are probably a million networks out there using a 4510 for this role. So what is it you need help with?

Victor

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joe

As Victor quite rightly says this is quite common. In the last place i worked we deployed 4510R's into the access-layer for a VOIP deployment. I don't recall any major issues with the cabling - yes there is a lot of it but with structured cabling it is easily managebale.

Jon

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

I too have used a 4510 as an access switch loaded down with 48 port blades. It is a challenge to manage that many cables. If done right the first time and properly maintain the cables you will be fine.

Mark

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Joe:

There are probably a million networks out there using a 4510 for this role. So what is it you need help with?

Victor

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joe

As Victor quite rightly says this is quite common. In the last place i worked we deployed 4510R's into the access-layer for a VOIP deployment. I don't recall any major issues with the cabling - yes there is a lot of it but with structured cabling it is easily managebale.

Jon

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

I too have used a 4510 as an access switch loaded down with 48 port blades. It is a challenge to manage that many cables. If done right the first time and properly maintain the cables you will be fine.

Mark

Thanks guys. I was looking to see if there were alternatives that could be employed, but it sounds like this is the best solution (as long as it is intially implemented correctly)and I can keep the cabling uder control.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card