Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

edw

Catalyst 6006 Switch Fault - Require Experienced Engineer

Hi,

One of our Cataylst switches went into a mode I can't find much info on. The STAUS LED on the Supervisor board (SUP1A) went RED. After a power down and power up nothing is coming out of the console port and it goes straight to RED. Power and Fans are fine - any ideas or help really appreciated!!

Thanks

Ed

7 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Catalyst 6006 Switch Fault - Require Experienced Engineer

Maybe try hitting the little reset button on the supervisor for the console , sometimes you have to change this to get output out of the console , otherwise if you can't get any reading out of the console then it is probably DOA and you will have to get a replacement. Not really a way to even attempt to look at it if you have no console output. You can try a few things like pull all the boards out of the slots and just leave the sup in and see if it will boot , have seen this before where a faulty board in another slot will keep it fromn booting.

edw

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I tried the reset button (is there a special trick or just push with paper clip?) This didn't change anything. I have stripped and clean the unit top to bottom and reseated in different slots and order - still no joy.

Should the modules go green or do they wait for the Sup to power up ? The Sup isn't even going orange to say its reading rom or doing diag - literily goes to RED and stays there.

There are two RJ45 sockets on the board - are they of any use ?

Whats the warrenty cover of these - would Cisco take it back and repair it for a charge?

Thanks

Ed

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Ed,

Can you console into the Sup card and watch the output when you do a restart. I'm suspecting (wish I'm wrong) that you may either have a hardware failure or your Sup is booting into ROMmon.

edw

Hi,

No console on the normal console port - nothing showing. I thnk its hardware but would have through for such an expensive system there would be a few more pointers to show.

Whats ROMmon ?? How would I know if its doing that ?

Thanks

Ed

Blue

Hi, Ed:

From what Im reading on this thread, it sounds as though your SUP model is experiencing a major hardware failure.

I'm not sure you have any recourse but to call Cisco and open a TAC case and hope its still under warranty...

ROMMON is a special boot mode that a switch boots into when it cannot find a usable IOS (operating system). Its almost like your PC booting into Safe Mode.

I dont think that its as simple as that. The SUP wouldnt be acting like this if there was a promleb only with the IOS.

You would know youre in ROMMON mode by consoling into the SUP module and seeing a prompt that looks like this:

rommon>

HTH

Victor

edw

Hi,

Whats the length of warrenty on hardware from Cisco ?

Also does anyone know if a WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 or a WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 would fit in a 6006 chassis ?

Thanks

Ed

edw

Hi,

Does anyone know if a WS-X6K-S2-MSFC2 or a WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 would fit in a 6006 chassis ?

Thanks

Ed

Views
Helpful
Replies