Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 Block Switching Between Trunk Ports

Will Bashlor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a Catalyst 6509-E with SUP2T and a WS-68xx series SFP line card. On this line card I will have 5 trunk connections going to ME3400 4 port access switches. There is one tagged VLAN allowed on all trunk ports and it is the same across them all. I need to have one trunk connection be allowed to switch to all ports within this VLAN and the remaining 3 ports be denied to switch between eachother. The remaining three ports would only be able to switch to the primary trunk port.

For informational purposes I want to point out that the downstream ME3400 access switches are performing QinQ on each connection so that when the traffic reaches the 6509 it will be double tagged.

Traditionally I have been able to do this on 12 port ME3400s using the built in UNI/NNI structure and on ME3800/3600 switches using EVCs and the "split-horizon" keyword on the bridge domain. However, the 6500 doesn't seem to support either one of these commands.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

2 Replies 2

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

Have you looked into private VLANs? Isolated VLANs can't talk to each other. Either that or switchport protected might work.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

I'm really not all that savvy on private VLANs but I did look at them as an option. Would they be affective on trunk ports? Most config examples I have seen have shown them applied on access ports.

Can't see switchport protected:

6509(config-if)#switchport protected

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card