Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Catalyst 6500 Hardware Configuration

Hi,

I just got curious with the 6500 series switches. I've been handling 6500 switches for the past years and now, I want to know how to assemble one. Meaning the Supervisor Engine. We have really old 6500 switches. What are the requirements to assemble a supervisor engine?

For example:

I have an old Supervisor 2 engine. I only want layer 2 functionality. If I bought only the engine, I don't have an SP yet right? I need a daughter card something like the one below. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mod Sub-Type Sub-Model Sub-Serial Sub-Hw Sub-Sw

--- ----------------------- ------------------- ----------- ------ ------

1 L2 Switching Engine II WS-F6020A SAL0713AVL3 2.0

But what if I bought WS-F6K-MSFC2. This includes both SP and RP? CatOS for the SP and IOS for the RP (talking about the hybrid ones)? Is the PFC optional? I know that in the Sup720 series, the MSFC3 and PFC3 are not optional anymore. I just want to be familiar with the old ones.

Now, I am thinking that the supervisor engine is more of like a motherboard. with nothing else on it (aside from the switch fabric). If you want sound only (layer 2) then install a sound card (L2 SE), but if you want sound and video (layer 2 and 3), install a card that holds sounds and video (something like MSFC). Then if you need more horsepower for the dataplane, go get a PFC.

From the MSFC perspective, I can see that it can be a separate entity if it's running hybrid and runs as a single entity when running native IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper09186a00800c8441.html

Now, what about the flash types and memories. I read that the SP and RP has separate flash or bootflash (whatever you call it). If I'm running hybrid mode. If I issue dir bootflash: in CatOS, it will display the SP bootflash right? Then on the IOS (MSFC), if I issue dir bootflash:, it will display the RP bootflash?

Then if I'm running native mode, dir sup-bootdisk will display the SP bootflash and dir bootflash: will display RP?

What about the DRAM? Will it combine in native mode?

Sorry for asking too many questions but I think this is a good starting point to understand its design.

Thanks in advance guys.

John

1 REPLY
Purple

Re: Catalyst 6500 Hardware Configuration

If you have a sup2 card then yes you have a layer 2 only switch . If you ad a msfc then you have a l2/3 switch with routing capabilities. The msfc card is the layer 3 card that does the routing.

On the sup 2 card it will be bootflash unless you have a optional flash card in slot0 : The supervisor and the msfc have there own flash called bootflash: .

The new 720's are really not much different they have a layer 2 side and a layer side except they are just combined a one IOS (native) . The older sup2/msfc2 can also be converted to native so it runs IOS only.

Views
Helpful
Replies